It's about that time of day - time for a tea break...

Time for tea...The best lifestyle, culture, beauty, fashion, food and drink in London, the UK and beyond - all in your tea break!

Thursday 23 May 2013

An Afternoon with Earl Grey

When I'm busy and feeling a bit tired and stressed in the afternoon, I like to take a tea break with Earl Grey.  And not just any Earl Grey, oh no!  I have a select list of favourites - and would like to share them with you!

Twinings Earl Grey

The Classics - a strong kick of bergamot to get you through the day...

Twinings Earl Grey - a true classic

I have a friend who swears by this blend and no other - and you can see why.  Always a failsafe cuppa -  a light, floral flavour with a strong kick of bergamot that enlivens the senses!  And it works very well in baking too!  As a novice baker myself, I'll leave this to the experts - check out this fabulous Twinings Earl Grey Cake recipe, tried and tested by the same ever-faithful friend!  Scrumptious - and best enjoyed with a steaming pot of Earl Grey!

Ahmad Earl Grey - the discerning choice...

Mmm...Ahmad Tea!
This is a real classic - great flavour and a strong aroma, again with a clear hit of bergamot.  This is very drinkable, as it has a lighter flavour than some other blends.  It works particularly well when you want to make up a nice big pot of tea.  I also find this very refreshing, so it suits all weather!  Note to self - don't drink up all your stock at once!  I'm planning on stocking up on more of this lovely tea when I head over to America in a couple of weeks' time.

Time for something a little bit different...

My lovely Twinings tea chest


Twinings Lavender Earl Grey - two of my favourite things: lavender and tea!
 

This is great for winding down at the end of the day, or for the morning after the day before (have been known to provide this after parties to soothe those pesky hangovers)!

I come back to this favourite time and time again.  My husband bought me a full Twinigs tea chest last Christmas, where I was delighted to find this little treasure!  I have since stock-piled boxes of twenty teabags and find myself getting through them remarkably quickly!

I do find this tea rather addictive - one cup is just never enough!

Teapigs Darjeeling Earl Grey - a match made in heaven!

Teapigs (or Teadog?!)
I'm a big fan of Darjeeling, so when I first walked past a cafe selling Teapigs Darjeeling Earl Grey a few years ago, I was intrigued and excited! This blend is really unusual and a very refreshing, malty, comforting taste.  I like this tea first thing in the morning as well as an afternoon refresher - I find it goes well with breakfast, or keeps me going nicely when on the go.  And I have to say, I love the packaging - I'm also a big fan of sausage dogs, so the quirky label always makes me smile!

English Garden Empire Earl Grey - the Empire Strikes Back!

Quintessentially English - English Garden tea
This is smoky, sultry and smells fabulous - either in or out of the pot!

I made a pot of this after I was feeling sorry for myself and suffering following a wisdom tooth removal.  My friend, another fellow tea enthusiast, came round to the house to cheer me up and we decided to do a mini-tasting of the best Earl Greys and my favourites. 

I particularly liked this flavoursome blend, firstly for the smell of the dry leaves, then the aroma once the pot was brewing, then the comforting, light Earl Grey taste. What makes this blend different is the smoky aftertaste, which is really quite different to anything I've tried before.  You can strongly smell the bergamot in the dried leaves, but once brewed it's a very subtle flavour, and I think the smoky, malty taste makes it quite unique.

I'm feeling a bit tired and worn-out again today, so think it's time for a tea break.  Looking forward to spending another evening with Earl Grey!

Until next time, enjoy your tea break (and why not join the marvellous Earl Grey?!)

Rachael X

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment