It's about that time of day - time for a tea break...

Time for tea...The best lifestyle, culture, beauty, fashion, food and drink in London, the UK and beyond - all in your tea break!

Sunday 21 October 2012

Autumn's here - finally, time for tea again...


You really can't beat sipping tea in the sunshine beside the sea!) - at the blissful Elysium resort
Reminiscing about enjoying tea in the sunshine...
I love the summer and everything that comes with it.  I particularly love going on holiday somewhere hot, preferably as close to the sea as possible.

Last month, I enjoyed a luxurious break (and first beach holiday since honeymoon three years ago!) at the simply stunning Elysium Hotel and Spa, in sunny Rhodes.  Everything about it was wonderful, from the location and setting in a secluded bay, to the top-notch food and drink and friendly, helpful service.  One week was just not long enough (oh well, means I'll just have to go back again!).  I could really get used to eating beside the sea each evening, or from the balcony with an amazing sea view!

The joys of dining al fresco...
Celebrating the joys of Autumn...
After a bit of a break, as if overnight, the leaves turned to shades of gold and red (the Borough of Richmond is looking beautiful!) and it's suddenly got a lot colder.  I really don't know where the days go...!

But while I'm missing the sunshine, dinner al fresco and the fresh sea air, there's still lots to look forward to and enjoy in the Autumn - another favourite season.  I always think of this season fondly, especially as my wedding was in October, and the beautiful autumnal setting could not have been more perfect for our special day.

Now's the time for local riverside walks on crisp Autumn days, cosy candles and blankets in our little cottage, tea and toast in front of the fire - and the return of Sunday soup making!  As much as I love summer salads and BBQs, autumn is an inspiring time for cooking - with all the lovely rainbow of versatile vegetables that we associate with this time of year (I'm thinking squash, pumpkins, etc)  Not just yummy for soups, casseroles, risottos, roasts and creamy mash, these colourful veggies make great seasonal decorations too.

All the leaves are brown, and the sky is grey (well, almost...)
As well as the obligatory Halloween pumpkins (I love Halloween and feel like I should make more of an effort this year after experiencing it US-style last year!), I was inspired by American households while in Chicago this time last year and seeing colourful squashes decorating the fireplace and hearth, harking back to "the Olden Days" and giving me a warm fuzzy feeling!


Mmm - tea and toast!
Cosying up with Downton...
Last weekend, Ham House held an event all about seasonal produce, inspired by their wonderful  kitchen garden.  I've been using my lovely herbs purchased from the volunteer plant stall here for an array of Autumnal dishes -  soups, casseroles, even the odd salad to accompany something a bit more warming.  And the National Trust lemon and raspberry curds I also bought at Ham House in the summer are very comforting on hot toast in front of the fire - with a nice cup of tea, of course.

I'll be trying out and sharing the recipes for some of my autumn-inspired meals, so watch this space...!

I also think now's the time of year to settle down with a good box set (I'm working my way through Mad Men) or enjoy great TV like Sunday favourite Downtown from the cosy comfort of your own home - my favourite way to spend a lazy Sunday (along with a nice cup of tea and a big stack of magazines!)

I'm also looking forward to visiting the fabulous Autumn exhibitions in London - Ballgowns and Hollywood Costume at the V&A, The Pre-Raphaelites at the Tate...So much to see and do!

The Richmond Afternoon Tea
Time for tea in Richmond
Enjoying one of those crisp Autumn walks in Richmond last weekend, the heavens suddenly opened and we headed for the warmth and shelter of The Tea Cup on Brewers Lane, a cosy, traditional tea room in one of Richmond's atmospheric cobbled alleys.  Being in Richmond, I felt it was only right to have the Richmond Afternoon Tea, comprising fruit and plain scones, choice of tea (Richmond Royal, naturally!) and choice of cake (coffee and walnut, to accompany my husband and Mother-in-Law's coffee!  What a little haven this place is!  We were so glad to get out of the cold, wet rain, and received a walm welcome - and even more welcome good quality tea and coffee and tasty treats.
A very civilised and pleasant way to spend an afternoon!

So, until next time, enjoy a cosy cuppa in front of some good TV, or pop in somewhere nice for tea to avoid the rain or the cold.  Next time, I'll be sharing some warming recipes with you that will hopefully keep that cosy feeling going a bit longer...

3 comments:

  1. I love Mad Men, I've just started season 5! It is so good. I am loving that, Breaking Bad and Dexter right now - perfect tea and toast viewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't beat a good box set! I love Mad Men - it's so engrossing, and I love it for the costumes as well. Just saw the ballgown exhibition at the V&A and there are some very early series Betty Draper styles on display! Tea and toast is perfect for this weather too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. perfect view for a perfect tea break, but I also recommend you to try tea break at least once at http://www.tieckienvang.com.vn/tea-break-tiec-tra-lp88p1.html

    ReplyDelete